Friday, August 29, 2008

I used to have a house that sparkled

Almost two years ago I quit my job in the hospitality business. When I left that job, I also left approximately 35% of my annual income with it. Overnight our disposable income packed up and boarded the first bus out of town. We stood in the dust cloud in disbelief rubbing our eyes, wondering what on earth we just did. Not only did our money take a first class ride outta here, it came on the heels of having newly added daycare expense. In our budget, the line item for daycare is titled: Making Someone Else’s Mortgage Payment.

Sure, I miss the luxuries. I miss the travel, the shopping, the dining, and the entertainment. I yearn for cute shoes, chunky jewelry, the Aveda salon, and more time at Banana Republic. Those luxuries have been replaced with play dough, bike rides to the library, blowing bubbles in the yard, and singing Ring around the Rosie at the top of my lungs. This is what I call trading up and I would not change it for the world.

So, what is the problem? Unfortunately, my ex-housekeeper refuses to work for free. Call me shallow, but this is a problem, a major problem people. I was hoping perhaps she would consider pro-bono work. No such luck. Possibly a resume builder with a guarantee that I would be an excellent reference. No such luck. A demand that all of my friends who still have money use her services. No such luck. A written contract guaranteeing that Craig and Kate will work on better aim when using the toilet. No such luck.

I'm officially screwed.

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

I find that a mixture of having a plan, and having extremely reasonable expectations, helps me a ton. I was never very regular w/my cleaning until recently. Basically I have 5 major tasks (vacuuming/mopping the tile, vacuuming the carpet, cleaning the kitchen--more than just daily dishes, cleaning the bathrooms, and dusting.) And each day that I have time and motivation (not EVERY) day, I do one thing. So I get it all cleaned every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. Not as often as it "should" be but more often than it used to be.

I miss my old housecleaners too, though.

Unknown said...

I LMAO at this entry. It's so true, isn't it? It seems like we would have time to keep the house clean, but it doesn't work out like that.

I love your blog, you're a great writer!