Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I skipped this chapter in the parenting books

To say Kate isn’t a big eater is akin to saying that our economy in Michigan is slightly-troubled. While the kid eats exceptionally healthy things, she just eats very little of them. Add the fact that with the nonstop action of her body and mouth, she’s likely burning calories at a rate far exceeding her intake. When we go out in public, I have to resist the urge to duct tape her arms to her side. Not doing so is a definite guarantee that she will end up lifting her arms up high, resulting in the raising of her shirt, and exposing of the cavernous excuse for a stomach that resides underneath her rib cage.

Last week we had her three year appointment with the Pediatrician. For height, she was in the 50th percentile. I’d say that is a feasible compromise for the product of a 6’ tall father and a 5’3” mother. Her weight, however, was in the 10th percentile. That alone isn’t a catastrophe, but the ratio of height to weight creates a slight unbalance. During the appointment, she was also exposed to a scale, which created a stalker-like obsession with our scale upon returning home.

I’ve attempted almost every bribe, tactic, and circus trick to make this kid eat. I am not sure about all kids, but anything that doesn’t come from our mouth carries much more weight and merit for Kate. I mean, what do parents know anyway? Shouldn’t I be more concerned that she already has this perception at three? Regardless, I took full advantage of this fact at the expense of the Pediatrician. Since that appointment, I keep telling Kate, “The Doctor said you need to eat more dinner to fill that little tummy” or “To grow big and strong, the Doctor said that you need to eat more.”

Tonight we grilled salmon, which is her favorite. Just as we sat down to dinner, she disappeared upstairs. I found her in our bathroom, standing on the scale. “Ugh!” she said with utter disgust. “I need to eat more dinner because I am not enough pounds.”

I’ll retain this for evidence that my DNA is no match for her fathers. While on one hand, I am picking my chin up off the floor, daydreaming of the day I hear those words from my mouth, on the other hand, I am wondering if I’ve afflicted Kate with a reverse anorexia of sorts.

10 comments:

C. Beth said...

Ha! That's funny.

Chickie is naturally slim too. Actually she does have a pretty big belly but she is skinny everywhere else, and her belly has gotten smaller lately. (I think she's lost weight recently.) I'm not too concerned; I was always a skinny kid with a small (but not picky) appetite, and I think some people just naturally are like that.

Claire said...

Seriously, how much alike are Laura and Kate? This is starting to get freaky. Laura actually fell off the weight percentile chart for a while there, prompting the doctor to tell us to fatten her up. We also got sent to a pediatric endocrinologist. It was madness! She finally evened out a bit, but is still as skinny as ever. Lucky duck.

Laura is also very interested in the scale, and weighed herself at home this morning, telling me proudly, "come look how big I am getting!" I wish I could say the same when I get on the scale.

And I am so nosy and want to compare notes. How much did Kate weigh? Laura was 27 pounds at age 3, 36 inches tall. She's now up to about 41 inches (huge height growth spurt over about 6 months!) and a whopping 31 pounds. That's on a girl who turned 4 back in Oct.

Sorry for the novel, this is an issue that I feel all too familiar with!

Lyndsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lyndsay said...

Beth - I know, I'm not worried, but I don't think I can over narrate a Kate story without some drama ...

Claire - What a rotten mom am I? I don't remember her height, but she was 26.5 pounds at her appt. I'm sorry you've had to deal with this too. Thankfully we haven't made it to the fatten her up stage, LOL!

Special K said...

Too funny! Logan was never a bit eater. He was big on habit, eating scrambled eggs and sausage for a year straight for breakfast, lunch or dinner if allowed. Then one day, he decided he was hungry. So he started eating more. He's still skinny as a rail, but I think I need to start shopping at Costco this kid eats SO MUCH. I'm afraid ot sign him up for sports as our grocery budget may also double! Cute story. Well written!

Unknown said...

She's so cute. My daughter was premature when she was born. She weighed 1lb 11 1/2 oz. Once she got older.. it took her FOREVER to weigh more than 20 pounds. Now, at 18.. she is barely breaking 90 lbs.... sigh I love her anyway

Yellow Beads said...

My child is not the best eater, but I give her a vitamin each day and just move on. I could worry and obsess but you know what, I was the same way as a child and I am fine today.

Jeanne Estridge said...

As long as she's healthy....

Suzanne said...

Well, the parenting books never said "Don't listen to your MIL when she says 'Oh, she won't eat that? Just make her a PB sandwich, that's healthy." I now have an 11 year old who is PICKY to say the least. Every meal is a battle and there are even days when she gets sick of peanut butter! Now what?
Appreciated your post, glad I found you, have a good weekend!

Jodi said...

LOL! I really wish I could step on the scale and day I need to eat more, not enough pounds. But - Kate already told me I was too many pounds so not gonna happen! LOL!