Friday, September 12, 2008

Saved By The Bell

I had to get up at 4:45 a.m. this morning to accomplish a heavy to-do list. The list included: packing, getting ready for work, preparing breakfast for 15 people (long story), getting Kate ready, dropping Kate off at daycare, and making it to work by 7:15. At 7:08, I pulled into the Starbucks line and ordered. I waited in line for 14 minutes, while only advancing one car and had to leave – without my coffee. They better get their act together, I know I pay for at least one of their staff. Not.a.good.morning.

Tonight is the first night of school for me this semester. I am having flashbacks of trapper-keepers and french-rolling my jeans, but I suppose that wouldn’t be appropriate for a Master level class. The class is MGT 643: Personnel Management. I was sort of hoping that it might morph into Personal Management, which should totally be a requirement before one is allowed to manage other people. I am completely qualified to teach Personal Management – The What Not to Do Edition. This is actually the first “off campus” class I have ever taken, which means it is comprised of mostly professionals. Shit. I need to put my smarty pants on this afternoon. I sort of liked taking traditional on-campus classes where I was the wise and experienced one amongst a room of fulltime students. I was always smart there and I didn’t even have to try or prepare for class. Sigh.

It is a ridiculously unfair weekend. I get to visit gorgeous Traverse City, where I have a hotel room on the beach, moments away from great dining and shopping. However, I don’t get to enjoy a single iota of it while I cram weeks of class into two days. I have the rare opportunity to spend a weekend without having to worry about a toddler waking me up at the crack of dawn. Instead of basking in that, I get to set my alarm to be up before the crack of dawn. For the first time in ages, I also have to pay full price for a hotel room, which I will not even have a minute to enjoy. For a fleeting moment, I missed my old job with the cheap to free hotel rooms. Then I slapped myself, came to my senses and got over that pretty quickly.

Wish me luck! I will be returning a much smarter person, thank you very much. I hope your weekend is less arduous than mine. Now, I will leave you with my favorite quote of the week:

“Never wrestle in the mud with a pig. You’re both going to get dirty, but the pig likes it.” This needs to be my mantra right now for a laundry list of reasons.

Disclaimer: This, in no way, shape, or form is referencing any pig-related recent news. Seriously. I am working hard at trying NOT to bring politics into this blog. I can’t promise I’ll keep it until November, but I am trying.

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

Oh, wow, this was a funny post!! Good luck on your classes tonight.

Anonymous said...

Too darn funny! I can't imagine how you could get ANY smarter! I too will try not to post anything here regarding politics although it is very very tempting.